Re: Boilerplate Descriptions for Proposal Preparation Steinert, Bruce, W 30 Jun 2004 16:06 EST

Plagiarism is usually defined as use without citation or permission. If
an institution chose to prepare a set of approved facility descriptions
(perhaps to reduce duplication of effort, avoid errors, or risking
'false claims' in proposal submissions), I am not sure how this would be
plagiarism. I think funding agencies are more concerned that the
hypothesis, aims, proposed methodologies and supporting data are
original or properly cited than whether the description of the animal
facility had been 'wordsmithed'.

Bruce Steinert, PhD, CCRA
Director, Clinical Trials Administration
The Children's Mercy Hospital
Kansas City, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Talarchek [mailto:xxxxxx@LOYNO.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 3:39 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Boilerplate Descriptions for Proposal
Preparation

Given that plagiarism in a proposal qualifies as scientific misconduct,
I am uncomfortable with any boilerplate.  Better to provide the
institutional information in a format that writers can easily use and
let them craft the language.  Perhaps this was not the intent of the
misconduct regulation, but I feel a strict interpretation of the rule
does not allow for boilerplate without quotation marks. I would value
comments from colleagues on this opinion.

Gary M. Talarchek, Ph.D.
Director of Grants and Research
Loyola University New Orleans
6363 St. Charles Avenue