Re: Proposal Budget Template ? Herbert B. Chermside 30 Jun 2004 10:36 EST

We have budget projection Excel spreadsheets that fit NIH format on line at
http://www.research.vcu.edu/ospa/budgpkg.htm#worksheets

This is a little weak for areas where everyone is on 9 month appointments;
works, but is awkward.  Soon expect to have another set focusing on that
big difference, probably essentially in NSF format.

We found it is easier to do different spreadsheets for different years,
different proposal types, etc.  However, the workings are essentially the
same, so after creation of the first one the following ones go fast.  The
NIH Modular budgets have the added factor that the AVERAGE annual total
shows prominently, because that is the figure that goes into the proposal
(but the PI can keep his plan, and see how annual cost increases need to be
dealt with).

A consistent use of spreadsheet YOU prepared means that you only have to
look at a few things when doing a budget review because all the "workings"
are the same, and (presumably) correct.

Chuck

At 10:36 AM 6/30/2004, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>Our institution is considering the use of a standardized budget
>template(s)(excel spreadsheets) for faculty use in the proposal
>process. We are interested to see what types of pre-formatted budget
>templates other institutions have developed.  If you have examples you
>can share, please post them here or e-mail them to me directly. We are
>looking for a more consistent approach and would appreciate your help.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill
>
>-------------------
>William Walters
>Associate Director, Contracts and Grants
>University of North Carolina at Greensboro
>207 Foust Building
>Greensboro, North Carolina  27402-6173
>Fax# (336)256-2599
>Telephone# (336) 334-5091