Re: Soft Money Folks Smith,Lois M 30 Jun 2004 09:37 EST

Hello Pam,

We've had the same pains with one of our institutes.  In our case it was
programmers who could be working on up to 10 different grants in a 2
week period.  We set up a pool account for 100% of their salary then the
dept. administrator sends us a breakdown of their work before month end,
which is then journaled to the various grant accounts.  We also use this
split to report of the Time & Effort reporting.

The caution is that this works because the dept. adminstator is right on
top of everything.  She use to be one of our grant accountants until
they stole her away.

Hope this helps,

Lois Smith,
Associate Controller, Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Pamela Miller
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 6:39 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Soft Money Folks

We have a Center that supports itself with 100% soft money.  This
involves
a lot of small grants and contracts which means that the folks on soft
money never know where their support is coming from and their time is
spread over several accounts.  This means there are a lot of retroactive
changes, no cost extensions, and effort reporting headaches.

Does anyone have a less painful and more efficient way of dealing with
this
type of activity?

Pam

Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.