Re: Intra-University Consulting Herbert B. Chermside 03 Jun 2004 13:21 EST

I am afraid I was not clear.  I was referring only to A-21's reference to
what "base pay" is.  See J.10 ( J. 8.in the old numbering) d. (1),  Salary
rates for academic year.   "... based on the individual faculty member's
regular compensation for the continuous period which, under the policy of
the institution concerned, constitutes the basis of his salary.

I understand this to mean that there must be a "base pay" for ALL
individuals in a faculty status.  See J. 10. a. General. "Compensation for
personal services covers all amounts paid currently or accrued by the
institution for services of employees rendered during the period of
performance under sponsored agreements. Such amounts include salaries,
wages, and fringe benefits (see subsection f). These costs are allowable to
the extent that the total compensation to individual employees conforms to
the established policies of the institution, consistently applied, and
provided that the charges for work performed directly on sponsored
agreements and for other work allocable as F&A costs are determined and
supported as provided below."

I understand "...total compensation to individual employees conforms to the
established policies of the institution, consistently applied...." means
that every faculty employee must have a "total compensation" -- i.e., "base
pay" that covers all expected work, except that an overload by "established
policy... consistently applied" (AND reasonable!) is allowable.

This interpretation appears to me to be consistent with all of the rest of
J.10 in the discussions of how to record and confirm allocations to federal
sponsored programs.

So, in short, I interpret that "base pay" as described above applies to all
faculty employees.  This base pay is typically stated in a contract
letter.  The reason that A-21 says base pay in summer is at the rate of the
previous academic period is because AY faculty seldom get a contract letter
for summer work.

If you have followed the recent discussions nationwide regarding what is
"base pay" for faculty with clinical duties, I believe that this
interpretation continues to hold.  Short and sweet, if the clinical duties
compensation is set and paid by the institution (or by a related
corporation), as part of total compensation, then pay for clinical duties
can be included in the A-21 base pay which constitutes 100%
effort.  However, if pay for clinical duties is set and paid by a different
organization (typically this latter clinical pay can be at a different
rate, and can vary based on actual clinical performance over short terms),
it cannot be in the base pay which constitutes the university's 100 % effort.

Additions to "total pay" from other sources are OK so long as they do not
get into the "base pay" of the institution, and hence cannot influence what
is charged to federally supported activities, direct or indirect.  E.g,
clinical pay from the VA, or supplemental pay from an athletic booster
organization.

If anyone can provide a documented refutation of this interpretation that
"base pay" covers the totality of EVERY faculty member's contracted normal
responsibilities, I would be especially delighted to hear it.

This is the basis of why there is not supplemental pay for taking on a
sponsored program.  There is a clear assumption that the sponsored program
is part of normal responsibilities.  If it means a small increment of added
work maybe the faculty member just works a little harder -- or a little
faster!  But if it is a large increment of added work, other institutional
responsibilities must be dropped.  Hence the concept of "release time".

Please note one special situation where taking on a sponsored program can
result in an addition to the institutional base pay:  If a part timer, say
0.5 FTE, takes on a sponsored program as an ADDITIONAL duty, AND the part
time appointment is changed to a larger FTE (presumably at a reasonable
relationship of the additional work to the additional FTE so that a
reasonable person would say the faculty member's rate of pay for work done
is the same), then the base pay can increase, until 1.0 FTE is
reached.  This an unusual situation, but perfectly legal.

Chuck