Re: Intra-University Consulting Carolyn Elliott-Farino 03 Jun 2004 12:12 EST

Chuck,

Are you saying that A-21 applies to all sponsored program funding?
That's what your sentence, "A-21 applies to all payments for duties
except something specifically defined as overload, no matter where the
payment comes from," indicates to me.  A-21's Applicability, the third
section of this circular (the letter to heads etc.), clearly states,
"All Federal agencies that sponsor research and development, training,
and other work at educational institutions shall apply the provisions of
this Circular in determining the costs incurred for such work."  How do
you interpret this as meaning that A-21 applies no matter who is funding
the grant, or did I misunderstand your comment?

Thanks.

Carolyn

>>> xxxxxx@VCU.EDU 6/3/04 11:39:44 AM >>>
It is my understanding that "regular compensation" specified in A-21
applies to all payments for duties except something specifically
defined as
overload, no matter where the payment comes from.  Can anyone else
confirm
this, or provide a defensible critique?

Chuck

At 11:06 AM 6/3/2004, you wrote:
>Doesn't the fact that this is a non-federal sponsor that allowed this
>expense come into play?
>My understanding is that A-21 applies to Federal grants only and is
good
>guidance for us for the non-federal sponsors for consistency's sake.
Not
>sure how this will play during an audit, though.

intra-institutional
> > consulting, regardless of departmental lines.  I believe this is a
very
> > good idea.  "Consulting" should mean personal income from another
source
> > than the home institution for personal effort outside of
institutional
> > responsibilities.  Normal university business practices have
changed since

> > the A-21 wording about consulting was adopted.  If a special
"consult" is
> > needed, and takes more than incidental time -- say, an expert
teaching a
>PI
> > a new technique -- it is much better to budget the expert for a
very small
> > % effort.  If the expert devotes a week to that teaching, that can
be
> > budgeted as 2% effort for a year.
> >
> > Chuck
> >

> > At 09:59 AM 6/3/2004, you wrote:
> > >Dear Colleagues,
> > >
> > >How do you handle requests from PIs for extra compensation
payments from
> > >their grant or contract?   I received a call from a person whose
request
> > >for extra compensation was rightly declined because the person is
PI on
>the
> > >project from which the extra compensation was to be paid.  The
nonfederal
> > >sponsor approved this arrangement, as did university
administrators
>outside
> > >of the sponsored programs organization.
> > >
> > >I reviewed the OMB Circular A-21 J. 8. d. (1) exception with the
PI.
> > >Paying only base salary from grants is the rule under A-21.  The
>exception
> > >exists for faculty members who are carrying a full teaching,
research and
> > >public service load and are also engaged in intra-university
consulting
> > >with colleagues in another department.  I further noted that
consulting
>for
> > >yourself would be a problem resulting in disallowed costs and
raising
> > >concerns should the project in question came up as part of the
audit
> > >sample.
> > >
> > >Please share any suggestions or war stories either via the list
or
>offline.
> > >Thank you for your help.
> > >
> > >Ruth Smith, Executive Director
> > >Old Dominion University Research Foundation
> > >P.O. Box 6369; Norfolk, VA 23508
> > >Ph 757-683-4293, ext. 600
> > >Fax 757-683-5290
> > >Mobile Ph 757-469-5675