Re: COS, SPIN, or IRIS: If you could choose only one? Farnsworth, Franci 01 Jun 2004 08:59 EST

Thank you Tom Murphy for confirming what I suspected years ago -- that it would be hard to convince non-science faculty "Community of Science" covers all disciplines.   That's the reason I never subscribed and I feel vindicated.

We have subscribed to IRIS for year and also get SPIN via a consortial arrangement that keeps the price down.  I like having two databases available and SPIN may be somewhat better on international sources.    IRIS is my preference in terms of the way that search findings are presented and the less common humanities sources that it covers.   Many very small institutions are satisfied with The Grant Advisor-PLUS.

Franci Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
Middlebury College

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Murphy, Thomas
Sent: Wed, May 26, 2004 12:55 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] COS, SPIN, or IRIS: If you could choose only
one?

From 1995-2003, I worked in a PUI setting and subscribed to both COS and
InfoEd's SPIN.  Actually, over a four-year stretch, I subscribed
concurrently to COS and SPIN.  Three observations I would share:

(1)  In each case the support staffs were really great.

(2)  In a PUI setting, the director of the sponsored programs office is
constantly looking out for funding opportunities in a broad range of
disciplines and a wide range of activities.  The fact is you're looking out
for everyone.  So, I appreciated the fact that the InfoEd product provided
me funding alerts on a daily basis; the COS alert system, on the other hand,
provided a weekly summary.  In this regard, SPIN was more helpful.  A weekly
alert can be overwhelming; a daily alert is much more helpful from the
perspective of office director.  (On the other hand, I can see how faculty
may prefer the weekly summary).

(3)  This may sound silly, but...  You cannot imagine how often COS was
perceived as exclusively about the sciences.  From a PUI-marketing
perspective, the company has a problematic name.  My office would be
criticized for catering to the science community and invariably COS was
cited as evidence - despite the fact that I spent newsletter after
newsletter and workshop after workshop trying to educate people to the truth
that COS covers all disciplines.

COS vs SPIN?  You can't go wrong with either.  The foolish thing is for PUIs
not to invest in one of these services at all.  Grants.gov and other free
(private) services are nice, but not the same.  COS and SPIN are very
worthwhile investments.

Finally, if money talks - I am presently back in a research-intensive
setting and I plan to subscribe to COS in our next fiscal year.

IRIS?  I have no experience with IRIS - no opinion or observations to share.