Re: F&A on Subawards to school districts, extension councils, etc. Herbert B. Chermside 20 May 2004 07:51 EST

Yes, we have had small entities request F&A on subawards.  We often have to
raise the matter with them; we believe it a reasonable cost to be
incurred.  If they have a rate, we use it.  Some entities have a rate and
do not know it; a school may be subject to a rate for the whole school
system and the local school has to enquire up the line to find out that, in
fact, they do have a rate.  If there is no approved rate, some sponsors
allow a small set rate to be used (often 8% or 10%).

This must be in the proposal, and approved by the sponsor, to be payable.

This is practice, not written policy.  It falls in the heading of proper
cost estimation for proposals.

Chuck

At 03:03 PM 5/19/2004, you wrote:
>Have any of you had instances where school districts, extension
>councils, or other small entities have requested F&A as part of a
>subaward to them?  Did they have F&A agreements for it to be allowable?
>If not, have you allowed it?  If F&A was allowed, what were the
>circumstances (i.e. written into the proposal budget and/or explicitly
>approved by the prime sponsor?
>
>Does anyone have a written policy regarding these situations they would
>be willing to share?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>--
>Michelle Parker