Re: IRB/IACUC summer work Charna K Howson 16 Apr 2004 09:43 EST

Thanks Janet,

We do about 350 protocols/year.  I am not sure how many are
completed over the summer months, but we have experienced and
annually juggle the exact scenario you described.  The process
is now handled by our Office of Research Compliance; I'm simply
collecting data for the Associate Provost for Research.

Your input is quite helpful.

Cheers,
Charna

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:51:22 -0400 "Hahn, Janet M"
<xxxxxx@RADFORD.EDU> wrote:

> We have just gotten to the point of approving either academic
> year
> reassigned time OR a summer stipend for IRB chairs.  We haven't
> actually
> had a request for the money yet; time is needed more.s We have
> 12 months
> committees for IRB and IACUC, but no stipends for members is in
> the
> immediate future.  Sometimes committee members are out of town.
> We are
> attempting to employ the alternate method, but sometimes neither
> specific member or his/her chair can make it.  During the summer,
> reaching quorum can be an issue.
>
> How many protocols do you generally have each year?  Do you have
> many in
> the summer? There are also summer months in which a meeting is
> canceled
> due to an absence of protocols.
>
> Janet
> ********
> Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A.
> Executive Director
> Office of Sponsored Programs & Grants Management
> Radford University
> Radford, VA  24142-6926
>
> tel:  540-831-5479
> fax:  540-831-6636