Re: Variable Indirect Cost Rate Valerie Seaquist 15 Apr 2004 10:41 EST

Anne,

We will comply with a funding agency's reduced or 0% indirect
requirements if it is their written policy. We will not reduce or
eliminate indirect on a commercial award. I can't say that the reduction
or elimination of indirect plays a role in the decision to propose or
not propose.

Our off-campus rate is used if the funding agency is providing the
workspace for the employee (thus, eliminating our "facilities"
expenditure). The fact that they may be doing things off campus isn't an
automatic reason for charging the off-campus rate--we look at who is
providing the facilities. (For instance, going all over creation to
interview people for a study doesn't constitute off-campus.) We used to
have two rates & two account numbers for situations that involved
on-campus & off-campus effort for the same award but have gravitated to
using "preponderance of effort" and it has worked out fine with less
administrative work.

Val Seaquist
Office of Sponsored Programs
The University of Alabama in Huntsville