Re: Retirement contributions on sponsored project summer salaries Herbert B. Chermside 15 Apr 2004 10:03 EST

VCU provides retirement (and health, etc.) benefits over a 12 month period
on/from the 9 month salary for AY faculty.  We pay summer salaries on the
Hourly payroll, so only social security and medicare benefits are paid on
summer salary.  We also have numerous CY faculty for whom benefits are paid
on/from the 12 month salary.  We look at it as a part of the institutional
system; summer salary for AY appointments increases income, but not
retirement benefits.

HOWEVER, from an individual's point of view, there should be a  403(b)
program to supplement the regular retirement program (a "perk" of academic
employment), to which an individual can contribute from his extra pay, and
there might even be a small employer match program (that's an institutional
policy matter).  Speaking personally, I found the 403(b)  a nice way to
boost my retirement resources after kids were educated and gone, and I had
some "disposable" income.

I agree that any change would have to be "all or nothing" for A-21 reasons.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568