Re: Research Base Salary Herbert B. Chermside 13 Apr 2004 14:10 EST

YES -- BUT....
This is not a temporary increase for an individual just because he brings
in soft money,but a category of individuals who get funding under grants,
etc., and in return for the possibility of greater salaries give up tenure.

VCU is in the process of establishing newly a series of "research faculty"
positions, for fully soft-money individuals, who may get higher raises if
there is funding, but are excluded from tenure.  In operation, these
positions will respond somewhat to market forces:  higher pay for lower
stability, but no higher than the market will bear.

This is a reasonable category of personnel for a research institution to
have in these days of seemingly arbitrary external control of teaching
faculty salaries with no recognition that teaching and research faculty are
different markets.  And this specialized market is only for the 100% soft
money position!

Chuck