Re: Academic PIs for STTRs Daniel S. Rademacher 09 Apr 2004 10:08 EST

Hi Amy,

The small business concern must be the prime contractor or grantee.  The
Small Business Administration's web site can back you up.
http://app1.sba.gov/faqs/faqIndexAll.cfm?areaid=10

I hope this helps.

Dan

At 05:27 PM 4/8/2004 -0700, Amy Hibbard wrote:
>Hello all-
>Can academic faculty be the lead on DoD STTR proposals?  We've only ever
>been the subcontract organization for that work, and I have it stored in
>my brain that this is a small business-initiated program, but I have a
>faculty member that says he wants to be the lead, with the small business
>partner as a co-PI subcontractor.  I found the minimum work percentages
>for each party, but I can't find the specific reference stating that the
>lead must be the small business.  AND, when I opened a file for DoD
>electronic submission, the format suggests that the lead is expected to be
>the small business partner.
>
>If research/academic institutions cannot be the lead, can someone help me
>find the specific reference to prove my case.  And if they can, does
>anyone know how to show this in the DoD electronic submission forms?
>
>Thanks for your collective brains,
>-Amy
>

>Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what
>no one else has thought.
>-Albert von Nagyrapolt
>
>Amy Hibbard
>Grants Administrator
>Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences
>535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
>T: (909) 607-9313 / 607-7855
>F: (909) 607-8086
>xxxxxx@kgi.edu
>www.kgi.edu

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
676 St. Clair
Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611