Re: Academic PIs for STTRs Herbert B. Chermside 09 Apr 2004 09:43 EST

This is one key difference between STTR's and SBIR's:  for an STTR the
University PI MAY also be the small business's PI, whereas for the SBIR PI
must be greater than 50% employed by the small business and may not be the
same as the university PI.  The small business must, in either case, be the
applicant grantee, and the university a sub.  Of course if the
university  person is PI on both parts of an STTR, the institution needs to
assure itself that the relationship is within institutional policy for
outside activities.

Chuck

At 10:44 PM 4/8/2004, you wrote:
>The STTR solicitation I have been working with indicates that the
>small business must be the prime contractor, but the PI can be either
>from the small business or from the research institution.
>
>On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:27:30 -0700
>  Amy Hibbard <xxxxxx@KGI.EDU> wrote:
>>Hello all-
>>Can academic faculty be the lead on DoD STTR proposals?  We've only
>>ever been the subcontract organization for that work, and I have it
>>stored in my brain that this is a small business-initiated program,
>>but I have a faculty member that says he wants to be the lead, with
>>the small business partner as a co-PI subcontractor.  I found the
>>minimum work percentages for each party, but I can't find the
>>specific reference stating that the lead must be the small business.
>>AND, when I opened a file for DoD electronic submission, the format
>>suggests that the lead is expected to be the small business partner.
>>
>>If research/academic institutions cannot be the lead, can someone
>>help me find the specific reference to prove my case.  And if they
>>can, does anyone know how to show this in the DoD electronic
>>submission forms?
>>
>>Thanks for your collective brains,
>>-Amy
>>

>>Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>>what no one else has thought.
>>-Albert von Nagyrapolt
>>
>>Amy Hibbard
>>Grants Administrator
>>Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences
>>535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
>>T: (909) 607-9313 / 607-7855
>>F: (909) 607-8086
>>xxxxxx@kgi.edu