Re: property inventories Ruth Tallman 05 Apr 2004 13:03 EST

Linda,

What you're looking for would be in the terms and conditions of your DOJ award.  Most federal awards allow the to the equipment purchased with grant funds to vest with the institution.  However, some do not and this stipulation would be in the terms and conditions of the award.  If the T&C stipulates that equipment and unused materials and supplies shall belong to the government, then it is government property and it must be tagged and tracked as such.  It's unusual that anything under the equipment threshold would be
government property and I would challenge that (after a review of the T&C).

Good luck with your negotiations!

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Lehigh University
526 Brodhead Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015
Phone:   (610)758-3024