Re: definitions of equipment Herbert B. Chermside 24 Mar 2004 08:25 EST

Dan, our accountants and auditors had a different view.  They said that the
F&A rate was determined and approved with a specific monetary definition of
"equipment", and that we would have to use that definition for all projects
which kept the "old" F&A rate through their competitive
segment.  Therefore,  using a different monetary definition of equipment
was unallowable.  So we had active projects using one definition and newer
ones using another.  The life cycle of overlap is such that about 90% of
the "old rate" awards are gone in three years.

Net result is a reduction of the number of pieces of capital equipment to
be tracked.  Change in F&A recovery is not detectable in the noise of other
factors affecting it.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University