Re: Annual Leave Payments Carlson, Claire 23 Mar 2004 16:22 EST

We have a sick and annual leave assessment charged to all grants as part of the fringe benefits, so we have a pool of funds to cover sick and annual leave usage by and termination payouts to people funded by sponsored programs.  Our sick and annual leave assessment has been approved by our cognizant agency (DHHS).  The only problem it creates is the complication created by an employee funded partly by grants and partly by state funds (in that case, the annual leave payout would be prorated between the grant sick and annual leave pool account and the state account).

Claire L. Carlson
Associate Vice President for Research
The University of Montana
Research and Sponsored Programs
University Hall 202
Missoula, Montana  59812-4104
Phone (406) 243-5796
Fax (406) 243-5739
xxxxxx@umontana.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Diane Gilliland [mailto:xxxxxx@TAMU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:57 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Annual Leave Payments

The problem of paying for lump sum annual leave when an employee
terminates has come up on our campus.  Our normal policy is to pay for
annual leave from the source, either grant or other, that the employee
was last paid from.  Unfortunately, if it is a grant that has
terminated, the department or college must tap into other sources of
funds for the leave payment.  When it involves retirement of long term
staff or faculty, this can be a sizeable amount.

Has anyone come up with a workable solution to this problem?  We have
discussed increasing our benefit rate by some percent to accumulate
funds for a leave pool.  What would be the implications and problems
associated with such a move?

We are open to suggestion, and welcome any insight you have to help us
out.

Thanks.   Diane

Diane M. Gilliland
Assistant Director for Research Administration
Texas Agricultural Experiment Station
2147 TAMU
Rm. 5, J K Williams Admin. Bldg.
College Station, Texas 77843-2147