Re: Multi-Institutional Surveys and IRB Approvals Williams, Martin 12 Mar 2004 10:52 EST

We require approval here as well but we ask that the researcher provide our
IRB cover sheet, the approval letter and protocol they submitted to their
home institution, and the informed consent statement and survey they will be
using here.  These are almost always surveys that do not involve a
vulnerable population and can be reviewed very quickly.  We take the home
institution's approval very seriously but it also has to conform to our
policy.  The local application of the IRB regs is part of the foundation of
the Federal policy and it would be inappropriate for us to ignore that.  We
do three or four of these a year (mostly grad students at other schools in
the area) and have not had any problems that either created a long delay or
prevented approval.

Martin B. Williams
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
IRB Administrator
William Paterson University
973-720-2852; xxxxxx@wpunj.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:15:31 -0600
From:    Marcia Walker <xxxxxx@NSULA.EDU>
Subject: Multi-Institutional Surveys and IRB Approvals

------_=_NextPart_001_01C407AD.FC4973D8

An IRB approval issue has come up at our university, and I'm wondering
if those of you who are involved with your campus human subject
committee could tell me how it would be handled at your institution.

A PI at another instutition is conducting a survey of faculty members at
various universities throughout the state, gathering information on
their use of technology in teaching.  He has contacted one of our Deans,
asking for support and encouragement of the faculty to participate, and
that Dean in turn, sent out a campus-wide email encouraging everyone's
participation.  The PI has received human subjects approval for the
study at his home institution, but according to our IRB policy, before
the survey can be conducted on our campus, an application should also be
submitted to our IRB for review and approval.

Needless to say, our Dean is not happy about this "hitch," because other
schools have participated and we're looking uncooperative.  But, other
institutions I've checked with would follow the same policy.  Our dean's
point is that if committee approval is required for each participating
campus, how would anyone ever conduct a regional or national survey?
I've been asked to "poll the group" so I would appreciate any comments
that you could provide. =20

thanks
Marcia=20

Marcia Walker
Associate Director
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
208 Creative and Performing Arts Building
Northwestern State University
Natchitoches, La.  71497
(318) 357-5222 (voice)
(318) 357-5250 (fax)