Re: A Plea for Your Experience in Enforcing Grant Submission Deadline s Robert Beattie 09 Mar 2004 12:29 EST

"Submit" is an ambiguous word.  At UM we allow PI's to send proposals
to the sponsor.  This can be by mail or by some electronic system.  We
do insist, however, that the proposal be approved by unit officials and
by appropriate  sponsored programs office officials before any such
submission or transmission.

The sponsored programs office typically copies and mails all proposals.
 We will, however, approve the administrative shell and a draft of the
text and allow the PI to take it back and work on the text a bit
longer.  The PI then mails or e-sends the proposal.  For mailing we
will provide a FedEx label.  By administrative shell I mean our
internal approval form and the sponsor forms, including a budget.

I should say, there are occasions, especially in the private sector
side, when a PI happens to send in a proposal to a potential sponsor
and gets an award before any internal approvals are obtained.  We try
very hard to accept the award with post-submission approvals and close
negotiating of the terms.

Both the approval of the administrative shell (with PI submission or
with full text later and our submitting) and the post-award approvals
when necessary are our attempts to facilitate timely and successful
proposal submission.  The sponsored programs office has as a main goal
(not the only one) of helping PI's submit proposals.  There is the
(perhaps true) myth here that certain members of our staff have been
caught in the parking lot, heading home, by a late submitting PI and
that proposal has been sent out in time.

So to answer the question posed by Nicole, we allow PI's to submit
_approved_  proposals, we will do everything possible to submit them
ourselves, and we will try our hardest to accept those awards from
proposals sent prior to approval (but discourage the practice).

I have learned one basic rule in 40 years of the sponsored research
business, if you do not get the proposal out, it will not get funded.

Bob
___________________________________
Robert Beattie
Managing Project Representative
Division of Research Development and Administration
University of Michigan
3003 S. State Street     Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1274
office: 734 936-1283     mobile: 734 717-6281
xxxxxx@umich.edu
On Mar 9, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Nicole Banks wrote:

I'm looking for info on how many institutions require that proposals be
submitted only by the sponsored programs office, and not by the PI.  Any
info you can provide will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole L. Banks, MPA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
New York Institute of Technology
Wisser Library, Room 201
Old Westbury, NY 11568
516.686.7737