Re: A Plea for Your Experience in Enforcing Grant Submission Deadline s Nicole Banks 09 Mar 2004 11:59 EST

I'm looking for info on how many institutions require that proposals be
submitted only by the sponsored programs office, and not by the PI.  Any
info you can provide will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole L. Banks, MPA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
New York Institute of Technology
Wisser Library, Room 201
Old Westbury, NY 11568
516.686.7737
http://iris.nyit.edu/sponsoredprograms

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Norm Braaten
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 10:40 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] A Plea for Your Experience in Enforcing Grant
Submission Deadline s

I would recommend shorter lead times through sponsored research offices,
streamlining of institutional (internal) administrative requirements and
policy that clearly delineates how proposals that do not meet internal
deadlines are handled.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has one of the shortest amounts of
lead
time for proposal processing among research universities--2 days.  We
take
the philosophy that we want to give our researchers as much time as
possible
to work on the sections of the proposal that most matter to reviewers,
the
science.  However, we typically receive draft budgets in advance of the
two-day window.

Any proposal that is not received in advance of the 2-day requirement is
put
into a queue to be processed, and if we have a large number of proposals
in
the queue, we inform the PI/dept that submission cannot be guaranteed.
We
also inform PIs and departmental administrators that proposals coming in
at
the last minute receive the minimum of administrative review, and
little/no
time for any corrections, which can harm a proposal's chance for meeting
sponsor technical requirements.