Re: Applicability of A-21 Greg & Peg Schmidt 04 Mar 2004 22:41 EST

I agree with what Mr. Chermside wrote here.  To add to what he said, if
in doubt, write a letter to the grants manager at the agency requesting
clarification.  I have seen auditors who have deemed as unallowable
costs that were generally budgeted and accepted (via funding the costs).

Their logic was that part of their audit involves a review of the
granting agency's administration of their awards.  Just because a cost
was authorized via a budget document doesn't make it allowable under A-21.

However, if they have specific documentation concerning a cost, they
will usually accept it.

Greg Schmidt