Re: IRB and Institutional Research Baumann, John 03 Mar 2004 01:31 EST

At a previous institution with which I was affiliated -- it had a large
portfolio of research on out-of-treatment substance abusers and sellers
and other research with, shall we say, sensitive populations -- this
issue came up sporadically during IRB reviews.  It was fundamentally
determined by the IRB, with strong agreement from the institution and
the PIs, that the issue of PI or research staff safety was a matter more
properly addressed by the institution and not the IRB.  The IRB
regularly deferred to the institution on matters of staff safety.
Please feel free to contact me at your convenience if you would like
further information.

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Interim Vice Provost for Research