Re: T32 Question Herbert B. Chermside 02 Mar 2004 13:35 EST

Trainee position is a non-employment relationship.  Many institutions have
completely different benefits for employees and non-employees.  Typically
trainees are on a different health insurance plan than employees.  There
are seldom other "benefits" for trainees.  Trainees are not taxed and
withheld for income tax or FICA.

The individual has changed roles, and must accept change in benefits.

Your institution MIGHT have a rider on employee health insurance that would
let the individual pay for continued, temporary, coverage and get
reimbursed for costs up to the cost of the trainee health benefits he
elected to forego.  If so, step carefully, because loss of health benefits
entirely would be even worse!

Chuck

At 11:13 AM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
>Hi
>  My question is for those of you with experience in administering T32
>grants.  We would like to appoint a trainee/fellow to our T32 grant who
>currently is in a staff position.  The issue is how do we handle this
>individual's benefits which are adversely affected by changing the status
>from "permanent staff" to post-doc fellow.  It almost seems like we are
>penalizing the individual by putting them on the grant.  I would really
>appreciate finding out how your institution handles this within the
>guidelines of the NIH.  Thanks.
>
>Sunita
>
>Sunita Chaudhary, Ph.D.
>Director, Research Education