Re: definition of a subcontract vs consulting Jon Hart 02 Mar 2004 11:44 EST

At our institution, we use the following differentiation:

Subcontracts are to another institution, and usually have salary +
fringe, supplies, etc.  The sponsor requirements/terms & conditions have
to be passed down to the subcontracting institution via written
agreement and compliance monitored.  We follow the PHS/NIH guidelines
for all subcontracts.

A consulting agreement is to an individual, acting as a direct agent.
He/she usually bills by the hour, by invoice, and is paid directly.

Jon Elizabeth Hart, MPA, CIP
Senior Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
Senior Director, Human Subjects Protections Program
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave., NY, NY 10021-6399
tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400
email:  xxxxxx@rockefeller.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Linda Ward
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 4:11 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] definition of a subcontract vs consulting

Can anyone point to a source having usable definitions of subcontracts
versus consulting agreements?  If not, how does your institution
differentiate the two.

Thanks in advance for you input!

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information and may be used only by the person or entity to
which it is addressed. If the reader of this email/fax is not the
intended recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email/fax is
prohibited. If you have received this email/fax in error, please notify
the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email or
destroying this facsimile immediately.