Re: Relationship between IRB and Institutional Research Dragoo, M. Heather 02 Mar 2004 09:57 EST

Thanks Larry. Our IRB requires IRB approval for all projects involving
human subjects, including students. I just wanted some feedback on
whether or not other IRB's had some special arrangement with their
Institutional Research Offices. Thanks for confirming our views.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Lawrence Waxler
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 8:13 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Relationship between IRB and Institutional
Research

Heather,

Sounds like you have lot of politics and opinion wrapped up in the mix
of things.

First of all, your institution should not be using source of funding as
a criteria for review. There are many projects that are probably taking
place that are funded with internal funds, non-federal funds, and are
occurring within your classrooms, that meet the test for review. If you
are ignoring these, you are making an institutional statement about the
protection that you are providing to subjects in those studies.

Also note that it is the IRB that determines exemptions, not your
Associate VPAA. And, it is only the IRB, not faculty or departments,
that can grant exemptions based upon the specific project. I would
suggest that you have an annual review of the kind of projects that your
IR office is undertaking and give them a clear set of guidelines as to
what does not need to be reviewed. Any project that strays from those
guidelines needs to be reviewed. It may be that the IRB finds the study
exempt or eligible for expedited review, but it is only the IRB that can
make that determination.

Lastly, a blanket exemption, without some regular review, is an
invitation for disaster.

Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine