Re: Relationship between IRB and Institutional Research Jean M. Murphy 02 Mar 2004 09:39 EST

Our IRB does review Institutional Research, usually under an expedited
review.  While much of the Institutional Research may be exempt, a blanket
exemption does not seem appropriate given that it is not for the
researcher to decide what is exempt, but rather the IRB.  The researcher
can request exemption, but it is the IRB that makes the decision based on
the particulars of the research.  Having an IRB decision regarding exempt
status of the research would be more likely to stand up in a federal audit.
Jean

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG> writes:
>I have a question for those institutions that require IRB approval on
>all projects involving subjects regardless of grant/sponsored funding.
>What is your relationship with the Institutional Research Office? Are
>they required to submit to the IRB for some/all projects? Usually our IR
>is not required to submit to the IRB. However, they recently submitted
>an application to take part in a national survey that asks students
>questions about their drug/alcohol use. IR has participated in the study
>for 5 years but decided to submit to the IRB. Regular institutional
>research does not involve the IRB. However, this case appears to fall
>within USI's IRB guidelines (and the IRB decided it requires full board
>approval as well due to the nature of the survey instrument). This has
>caused a bit of stir. If you could share any experiences concerning
>Institutional Research and IRB, I would greatly appreciate.
>
>The Assoc. VPAA wants IR to have a blanket exemption from IRB approval.
>Do you agree or are there times when IR should submit to the IRB?

Jean M. Murphy
Director of Pre-Award Services
Wellesley Centers for Women
http://www.wcwonline.org
E-mail:  xxxxxx@wellesley.edu      Phone:  781-283-2508     Fax:
781-283-2504

Wellesley College, Cheever House, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA  02481