Re: A Plea for Your Experience in Enforcing Grant Submission Deadline s Mary Watson 01 Mar 2004 15:02 EST

See my responses below within the body of your message

Director
Grants and Contracts
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698
Phone:   229-333-7837
FAX:  229-245-3853

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.  (Amelia
Earhart)

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On
Behalf
Of McCann, John
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 2:15 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] A Plea for Your Experience in Enforcing Grant
Submission Deadline s

Our business office is currently in the process of developing a policy
enforce lead time requirements for approval signatures which would -
in
effect - lengthen our internal grants approval process and impose a
grants
submission deadline.  I think such deadlines are unenforcable and
undesirable.  The job of our grants office is to facilitate grants
submission, not impose barriers - and PIs have major time investments
in
grant proposals.  While we specify that PIs should allow at least
seven
working days for internal reviews - and we yelp at late submissions -
we
always submit viable proposals.

I know that the list has discussed this subject in the past, and I've
found
those e-mails, but I'd really appreciate a large number of you briefly
answering these three questions and providing the names of your
institutions:

1.  Does your institution enforce grants submissions deadlines?

WE HAVE A 5-DAY LEAD TIME REQUESTED OF ALL - WE TRY TO ENCOURAGE
ADHERENCE TO THIS POLICY.  WE FAIL MISERABLY.

2.  Why or why not?

ESSENTIALLY WE FEEL THAT WE HAVE TO HELP NOT HINDER AND WE ARE TOO
SOFT!!!!!  WE CAVE IN EASILY AND usually justify it by notifying the
PI that the University retains the right to refuse the proposal if
funded if it does not meet University requirements/standards/mission,
or we can remove it from a competition after full review is completed
and deficiences are noted of a nature that would make it impossible
for the University to accept funds for such a project.  This seems
reasonable and appears to work.  Of course, all of the reasons
(University requirements/standards/mission) but the mission, are
somewhat vague and open to interpretation!  Are you getting a picture
here?   Thought you might.   We make, and take, lots of wiggle room.

Thank you........

John McCann, M.P.A., Ph.D.
Academic Grants Manager
Office of the Academic Vice President and Provost
The Evergreen State College
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505

E-mail: xxxxxx@evergreen.edu