Re: F & A rate as Directs on subs Herbert B. Chermside 24 Feb 2004 12:17 EST

I believe you will find that none of the research universities wish such a
change.  In fact, in my opinion, they might actively oppose it.

The subawarded institution wants its full costs, i.e., both direct and F&A.

The subaward, technically, is like a procurement by the prime awardee
("like" because it is not competitively procured).  So the whole cost is a
direct cost to the prime.

After much battling some time ago, the research university community got
recognition that administering a sub costs administrative effort, hence the
prime's F&A on the first $25,000 of the sub was made an allowable cost (and
let me tell you, $25,000 bought five times as much research then!).

The relationship between the prime sponsor explicitly does not flow to the
subawardee.  Therefore, they cannot recognize the sub's F&A as other than a
direct cost to them, through the prime.

If you have internal accounting problems regarding treatment of your subs'
F&A, contact me at xxxxxx@vcu.edu.

Chuck

At 11:27 AM 2/24/2004, you wrote:
>Would the list please help me once again?
>
>We are trying to find out if there has been in the recent past or is a
>current effort by a group  to get federal agencies (ex. NIH) to alter their
>policy on counting subcontract F & A as a Direct project cost.
>
>If there is no effort in progress, would the means to achieve a change
>require legislation?   Is there a federal person that you know is
>knowledgeable about this issue that I might contact.
>
>Please advise and THANK YOU.
>
>Sherry Burnside, MBA
>Manager Research Programs
>Institute For Exercise and
>Environmental Medicine
>Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas
>214-345-4637
>214-345-4618 fax
>

>The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended
>only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and
>may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and exempt from
>disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this message in
>error, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or using the
>information.  Please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail and
>delete the original message from your system.

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568