Re: F & A rate as Directs on subs Debbie Smith 24 Feb 2004 12:02 EST

The total costs of any subcontract ARE direct costs to the prime awardee.

The problem is not that subcontractor F&A are considered direct costs . . .
the problem is that so many RFAs now have limited direct and/or total costs.
If you have multiple institutions participating (as many of the RFAs also
require), the amount left to be divided for direct costs gets very small.

Debbie Smith

Deborah (Debbie) L. Smith, Ed.D.
Director, Research Administration
UT Health Science Center
8 So. Dunlap, Suite C-109
Memphis, TN  38163
901 448-4823
901 448-7600 fax
xxxxxx@utmem.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Burnside, Sherry" <xxxxxx@TEXASHEALTH.ORG>
To: <xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 10:27 AM
Subject: [RESADM-L] F & A rate as Directs on subs

> Would the list please help me once again?
>
> We are trying to find out if there has been in the recent past or is a
> current effort by a group  to get federal agencies (ex. NIH) to alter
their
> policy on counting subcontract F & A as a Direct project cost.
>
> If there is no effort in progress, would the means to achieve a change
> require legislation?   Is there a federal person that you know is
> knowledgeable about this issue that I might contact.
>
> Please advise and THANK YOU.
>
> Sherry Burnside, MBA
> Manager Research Programs
> Institute For Exercise and
> Environmental Medicine
> Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas
> 214-345-4637
> 214-345-4618 fax
>

> The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and
may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this message in
error, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or using the
information.  Please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete the original message from your system.