Re: Effort Reporting Smith,Lois M 09 Feb 2004 15:52 EST

Hello Group,

We're having a similar problem to Karen's.  A full-time load is supposed
to be 12 credit hours.  Lately, we have several professors signing on
their transmittal sheets for cost sharing of their time on each grant to
the point of having as much as 90% total (in one case 106%) of their
time as research yet their teaching and have administrative duties
account for six to nine hours.

I can develop a pro rata share, but my problem is 'Does the transmittal
take precedent or the grant budget/narrative?'  Who should be checking
that we've not overcommitted ourselves?

Thanks for any ideas,
Lois Smith
Associate Controller, Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron
330-972-6563
xxxxxx@uakron.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Karen Henry
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 2:45 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Effort Reporting

We are in the process of implementing a new ERS system.  One of the
points of the system that is consistently made is that is that there is
no such thing as a 40 hour work week.  Percent effort should be reported
based on actual time spent (whether 20 or 100 hours).

I am no longer clear on what to do when budgeting for a proposal.  What
University standards need to be in place to assist PIs in determining
their percent effort?

We have always allowed faculty to use hourly rates (converted from
8-hr. day base for 9-months), monthly rates 1/9 of contracted amount, or
% effort.  Should we now only use % effort and not hours proposed?

Faculty are expected to spend time between teaching, service, and
research.  How have institutions assigned percent effort to teaching and
service?  For example, if a faculty member has a two course load a
semester what percentage of their time should this be?  Or what percent
effort can we allow to be budgeted for research if we know they still
have a teaching and service load?  We don't want to force faculty to
budget based on a 40 hour week when they say they will be working 60.
We also don't want to allow them to charge to a grant based on a 100
hour week as this seems unrealistic.

Are there any documents that we should review on this issue?  How other
institutions are handling this?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Karen Henry
Assistant Director
Office of Research Administration
Boise State University