Re: Memberships - allowable under OMB A-21? Herbert B. Chermside 03 Feb 2004 16:52 EST

Correct, UNLESS there is a specific need directly related to the project
for a membership that would not otherwise be held.  In that case, best to
have sponsor permission (or specifically include in budget  and justify),
and maybe hold the subscription in the institution name (but don't do that
it you have to pay a higher library cost!)

Chuck

At 01:47 AM 2/3/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I hope that someone out there can help me to resolve an issue that has come
>up between our central office and one of our PIs.
>
>I want to make sure that we are interpreting OMB A-21, section J28
>(membership, subscriptions and professional activity costs) correctly. While
>the institution's memberships and subscriptions *are* allowable, individual
>(PI's, for example) memberships to professional organizations are *not*
>allowable, correct?
>
>Thanks,
>Susan
>

>Susan Pelton, Grants Administrator
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP)
>San Francisco State University
>1600 Holloway Avenue, Admin 471
>San Francisco, CA 94132
>phone: 415/338-7090