Re: F&A question Barbara Gray 28 Jan 2004 11:50 EST

Kim,
We are also on a S+F base and sometimes run into the same issue.  Can't
cite any reference, but we collect the lower of the two.  It seems we
would be hard pressed to justify the higher rate just because a sponsor
pays it.   Not exceeding your negotiated rate, which is fully
justifiable, seems to at least be the ethical thing to do.
Barbara

Kim Chanley wrote:

>Hello colleagues,
>I've asked around but haven't gotten any clear guidance on this
>question:
>
>Our institution's current federally-negotiated F&A rate is 46% of
>Salaries and Wages. However, the State Board of Education's policy is to
>allow 25% of Total Direct Costs on all state grants.  In some
>circumstances, therefore, there is a potential for us to collect F&A in
>excess of our federally-negotiated rate (i.e., on state grants that are
>primarily Other Direct Costs with little salary).  Is this allowable?
>
>Thanks in advance for your advice!
>
>Kim Chanley
>
>Kimberly Chanley
>Operations Manager
>Sponsored Projects Accounting
>Boise State University
>208.426.1791

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/