Re: Faculty teaching load Kathryn Rockett 23 Jan 2004 15:53 EST

Long Island University is 4-year, private institution that is not
research oriented.  Our Carnegie classification is as a Master's
Colleges and Universities I.  The faculty at all our campuses are
unionized and operate under 3 year agreements.  We recently completed
negotiations for the new contracts and teaching load has been defined as
9 credits, average 3 courses, per semester.  The faculty are also
expected to do research and service but the percent of time for these
activities is not defined.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elaine Young [mailto:xxxxxx@UMBC.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 10:50 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Faculty teaching load

I'm trying to get an idea of teaching loads around the country.

We are a 4-year state institution with an active research and graduate
program (Carnegie classification - Research Extensive).  FY 03 sponsored
activity totaled around $85M.

Can I hear from similar institutions as to the average number of courses
your faculty teach annually and what your sponsored activity was last
fiscal year (ballpark)?

Thanks for any help.

Elaine Young, Ph.D.
Associate Vice Provost for Research