Re: submission policy Donna Berger 23 Jan 2004 14:30 EST

Hi Everyone,

Our president or executive vice president signs all submissions and will
not sign unless the proposal is approved by all parties in the routing
process. Since I am one of the first (after the dean) to sign the routing
form, we generally see proposals within the 10 day deadline for submission.
We still have people come in late and work right up to the last minute, but
have never stopped a proposal. In fact, we have begun the routing process
with a draft narrative, which gives the PI and our office time to make
changes as it the proposal is circulating.   We try to help the PIs get the
proposals out the door, but then the VPs who sign get annoyed at us for
failing to give them enough time to read. Still, I'd rather have enough
time to get the proposal in shape.  Even with this flexibility, we have had
people bypass the routing process completely and suffer no consequences.
Thus, in many respects, our approval process is in need of repair.

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

 Elsa Nadler
 <xxxxxx@HSC.WVU.        To:       xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 EDU>                     cc:
 Sent by: Research        Subject:  Re: [RESADM-L] submission policy
 Administration
 List
 <xxxxxx@HRINET.

 01/23/2004 01:07
 PM
 Please respond to
 Research
 Administration
 Discussion List

Charlie,
Thanks. and you are right...however most sponsored research offices bend
over backwards to submit a proposal, even with only 15 minutes to spare. I
found one that requires the latecoming PI to sign what is essentially a
release. A number require 48 hours and three days. Only two so far have a
written policy, although most have some kind of "please allow" statement on
their internal buck sheets.
 I wil try to create a chart and distribute it to the list. Elsa

>>> xxxxxx@AECOM.YU.EDU 23-Jan-04 12:49:02 PM >>>
Our routing form tells PIs to "Allow eight (8) working days for processing"
[through the Financial group and for final signatures].

al·low
v. tr.
To make provision for;
To plan for in case of need:

I think this issue is all about saying "Kindly allow..." but meaning "You
better damn well allow..."

CH

At 10:12 AM 1/23/2004, you wrote:
>Hello, all,
>I have some questions that have arisen lately because of our sponsored
programs office's policy of requiring five working days to process
proposals.

>1. How many days of lead time prior to an agency deadline do you require
to process a proposal?
>2. Do you have a written policy? [If you have such a policy, is it on your
Web site?... I have searched several research office Web pages and do not
find any policies of this nature.]

>and  related questions:
>
>1. What do you do if a PI fails to submit a proposal to your office in a
timely manner:

>2. Have you ever failed to submit a proposal because your office did not
have the stated time for processing?

>3. If yes, how many?
>
>Thanks for any responses. I will create a table for distribution (# of
days, policy, Web site for policy, etc.)

our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv Lists")