Re: submission policy Bill Campbell 23 Jan 2004 13:39 EST

Elas and Resadmers--

My policy is this: I'll do whatever I can to send good proposals out the
door.  I prefer to work with proposer-writers from the point they start
thinking about submitting a proposal, but if a PI brings me a sound
proposal half an hour before deadline I'll do whatever I can to get it out
the door.  Consequently, I don't impose any arbitrary deadlines.  I've
thought about doing so, thinking it might make my life a little easier, but
then I realize that I'll never turn anyone away for not making the
deadline.  My job performance is evaluated, in part, by the number of
proposals we submit; I'd be crazy not to do whatever I can to get sound
proposals out the door. Fortunately, we're a small enough university that
communication lines are quire short and direct.  Larger, more complex
universities may need arbirtrary deadlines.

On the other hand, if the proposal isn't sound--commits unauthorized
matching funds, budget is screwy, it's not in accord with university
policies, whatever--or if the persons who must sign off are not available,
we don't send it and I'll tell the PI that s/he just didn't leave enough
time, sorry.  So we have deadlines, in effect, but they vary considerably
according to several factors.

Regards, Bill

At 09:12 AM 01/23/2004, you wrote:
>Hello, all,
>I have some questions that have arisen lately because of our sponsored
>programs office's policy of requiring five working days to process proposals.
>
>1. How many days of lead time prior to an agency deadline do you require
>to process a proposal?
>2. Do you have a written policy? [If you have such a policy, is it on your
>Web site?... I have searched several research office Web pages and do not
>find any policies of this nature.]
>
>and  related questions:
>
>1. What do you do if a PI fails to submit a proposal to your office in a
>timely manner:
>
>2. Have you ever failed to submit a proposal because your office did not
>have the stated time for processing?
>
>3. If yes, how many?
>
>Thanks for any responses. I will create a table for distribution (# of
>days, policy, Web site for policy, etc.)
>
>Elsa Nadler
>

>Elsa G. Nadler
>Grants Manager
>Department of Community Medicine
>1 Medical Center Drive
>PO Box 9190
>West Virginia University
>Morgantown, WV 26506-9190

>Tel: 304/293-3546
>Fax: 304/293-6685

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd St.
River Falls, WI  54022
telephone 715/425-3195; FAX 715/425-0649
xxxxxx@uwrf.edu