Re: Non-Disclosure Agreements Herbert B. Chermside 16 Jan 2004 10:54 EST

VCU's position is that students are not covered, but that covered
information will not be shared with them.

We have not examined in detail the question of a student who is ALSO an
employee on a sponsored program to which the confidentiality agreement
applies.  It is my personal opinion that the principles of openness in
education mitigate against covering them even in that situation, but others
take the position that confidentiality is a fact of life in the real world
and students should learn about it.

In my experience, most confidentiality agreements refer to proprietary
information that is background used to determine if a sponsored program
should be undertaken, or background for some of the things to be done on
the project which the PI needs, but a student does not.

We also always want confidential information to be identified as such in
writing.

Chuck

At 10:01 AM 1/16/2004, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>
>When you enter into non-disclosure agreements, particularly with industrial
>partners/sponsors, are graduate students covered?  I would appreciate some
>input on how your institution handles the issue.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Antje

>Antje Harnisch, Ph.D.
>Manager of Contract Services