Re: Using grant funds to pay rewards for finding lost equipment? Herbert B. Chermside 13 Jan 2004 10:43 EST

Check you insurance/risk management first.  It may be covered under that,
as a minimization of cost for a loss.  Then discuss with sponsor.  You are
responsible for the equipment bought under the grant if title vests in your
institution.

Chuck

At 09:08 AM 1/13/2004, you wrote:
>We have an unusal situation.   A piece of grant-funded oceanography
>equipment was lost while deployed, so the PI offered a reward to anyone who
>found it ($1000).     A publicly-funded employee found it and said he can't
>accept the reward, but asked if the reward could be sent to the "benevolent"
>society connected with his employment.    THE QUESTION:    Can we use
>federal grant funds to pay this reward?
>
>It certainly passes the "prudent person" test (the equipment is quite
>expensive, finding the equipment has research value even if the equipment is
>not salvageable .. and I believe that it still can be used, and it would
>have been paid to a private citizen who found it).    But "rewards" were not
>part of the original budget and I can't find anything related in a quick
>search of A-21.
>
>If you reply directly to me I'll post a summary to the list.
>
>Franci Farnsworth
>
>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research
>Munford House