Re: indirect cost underrecovery on federal training grants Herbert B. Chermside 08 Jan 2004 14:32 EST

The under recovery of F&A from federal agencies may be used for cost
sharing on that project if the agency allows it.

However, DHHS training programs with 8% F&A do not require mandatory cost
sharing, so why waste the time tracking it?  And, for DEd programs, the
agency does not allow claiming the difference as cost sharing.

But if there is some other F&A under recovery on a program that requires
mandatory cost sharing, check the agency's implementation of A-110; if not
DEd, you probably can use it.  And when counting costs for mandatory cost
sharing, do not forget to count F&A at your approved rate on the
institutional direct cost investment!

Chuck

At 11:06 AM 1/8/2004, you wrote:
>Just wondering whether any indirect cost experts out there can confirm for
>me that the underrecovery of indirect cost on federal training grants where
>the rate is capped at 8% must be covered by nonfederal funds.  I believe I
>have seen some discussion of this topic in the past as it relates to cost
>sharing.
>
>Thanks all--
>
>Michael Pelletier
>Associate Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
>Education Development Center, Inc.
>(617)618-2227

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA

Virginia Commonwealth University