Re: private foundation grants Barbara Gray 07 Jan 2004 16:14 EST

Oops...sorry, all....I really misread this one!  Oh well, maybe the CASE
reference will be useful to someone out there sooner or later...Thanks
for the clarification, Chuck.
Barbara :-[

Herbert B. Chermside wrote:

> The primary focus of this was expressly the donation of Intellectual
> Property and the appropriate valuation of such.  For example, was the IP
> essentially useless, and thus valueless, but taken as a gift write-off
> based on costs or some other value that did not recognize the true
> present
> value of the gift.
>
> It is part of a focus on generating tax write-offs at a value greater
> than
> present value of the gift.
>
> It has nothing to do with foundation supported sponsored programs.
>
> Chuck
>

> At 12:45 PM 1/7/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Happy New Year!  I am hoping someone can clarify this for me:
>>
>> The Philanthropy Digest reports that:
>>
>> "The IRS intends to seek penalties for improper deductions for gifts of
>> intellectual property and said it would review, and perhaps penalize,
>> promoters and appraisers who solicited such transactions. Earlier this
>> month, Senate Finance Committee chairman Charles Grassley (R-IA) said
>> his
>> panel would pay closer attention to the deductions claimed for a wide
>> variety of noncash contributions such as cars, real estate, and patents.
>>
>> "We're seeing an increasing number of donations that don't pass the
>> smell
>> test," said IRS commissioner Mark W. Everson. "Donations that are overly
>> inflated or made with strings attached are going to receive increased
>> scrutiny."
>>
>> I know that they are talking about inkind donations from individuals,
>> but
>> my question is this:  Can grants made by private foundations in
>> support of
>> research (strings attached) be counted as part of a university's annual
>> campaign.  I think most of us would agree that it should not be
>> counted--but what is the source that says that this is not allowed?  I
>> would really appreciate specific citations.
>>
>> Thanks to anyone who can help--please send to be directly as I am on the
>> digest format.
>>
>> Pam
>>

>> Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
>> Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
>> The University of San Francisco
>> 2130 Fulton Street
>> San Francisco, CA  94117-1080
>> TEL  415-422-5368
>> FAX  415-422-6222
>> EMAIL  xxxxxx@usfca.edu

> Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
>
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> Sanger Hall, Room 1-022
> PO BOX 980568
> Richmond, VA  23298-0568
> Voice:  804-827-6036
> Fax     804-828-2051
> e-mail xxxxxx@vcu.edu

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/