Re: F&A "waiver" Diane Barrett 02 Jan 2004 17:11 EST

I have had NSF, DOD and NEH program directors ask that F&A not be
charged (on the original proposols, not on supplements). Actually, in
one of those instances it was not a request, it was a demand. In those
cases I have called the corresponding Grant and Contract Officer and
asked if there has been a "change of policy." Usually the G&CO is
appalled and this misunderstanding is corrected. I have had one CO hint
that other institutions use an indirect waiver to cover cost-sharing and
that we should do the same. We did not agree.

I am also currently having problems with a USDA CONTRACTING OFFICER who
has insisted that our institution, as a sub under another (prime)
institution (and who is using an off-campus rate while our research rate
applies), must use the prime institution's F&A rate. She even called our
cognizant authority, who AGREED with her. His justification to me was
that if the project needed the money, we should lower our rate. (!!!)
After quite a bit of discussion he decided he should "ask up the line."
That was 3 weeks ago. In the meantime, this Contracting Officer has also
called the Vice Chancellor for Research at the other institution and had
the program officer call me personally to tell me they will not award us
at our rate. Stay tuned.

Diane

Diane Barrett
Assistant Director