Re: IRB Approval Bill Campbell 16 Dec 2003 16:19 EST

Heather and RESADMers--

We require any study using our students, faculty, staff, or facilities to
gain approval of our IRB.  We also require external researchers to find a
collaborator or sponsor on campus--or at least someone who will present the
project to the IRB.  Obtaining approval of their own institution's IRB is a
necessary condition, but not sufficient for us to give approval without
reviewing it ourselves.  The result: external researchers must submit their
projects to us on our forms, regardless of level of review.

Regards, Bill

At 02:40 PM 12/16/2003, you wrote:
>What is your policy when an external institution or researcher wants to
>conduct a research study using your institution's students (faculty,
>employees, etc)? Does your IRB approve study based on the other
>institution's IRB approval (assuming they had approval in advance)? If
>so, what materials do you require before approving? Does it make a
>difference if the study qualifies as exempt, expedited, or full board
>review? If not, do you require a separate review by the IRB using your
>institution's forms and process? Thanks in advance.
>
>Heather Dragoo
>Sponsored Research Office
>University of Southern Indiana
>8600 University Blvd.
>Evansville, IN 47712
>(812) 465-1126
>xxxxxx@usi.edu
>http://www.usi.edu/gr&res/ogsr.asp

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd St.
River Falls, WI  54022
telephone 715/425-3195; FAX 715/425-0649
xxxxxx@uwrf.edu