Re: IRB Membership Herbert B. Chermside 20 Nov 2003 08:43 EST

At VCU there is no representation of any sort by Sponsored Programs on any
of our several IRB's.  This is in part because of OHRP's concerns that an
OSPA may be charged with increasing research activity and therefore have a
COI, a desire to encourage support of a protocol for the reason of
obtaining that additional research support.  (It is my personal opinion
that there is not such a COI, because an OSPA is charged with
administrative, not advocacy, functions; nevertheless there may be an
appearance of COI to super-cautious outsiders who co not have an
understanding of an OSPA role in an institution.)  Both OSPA and Office of
Research Subjects Protection report to the Vice President for
Research.  The offices work together to ensure that there is a clear record
cross-connecting IRB protocol records and Sponsored Program proposal/award
records.  Occasionally OSPA answers a technical question regarding a
proposal/award.  This cross-connection allows OSPA to communicate to the
sponsor certifying or reporting IRB actions, for purposes of "one stop
shopping"; OSPA certifies IRB review and approval, and communicates with
the sponsor when IRB takes and action requiring notification of sponsor,
e.g., a suspension of a previously approved protocol.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568