Re: Information Systems Thane Peterson 19 Nov 2003 18:33 EST

Mike,

At Iowa State University we implemented a new electronic system this past
July.  With approximately 2000 proposals submitted each year by faculty
spread out over nearly 2000 acres, this was a huge improvement and
appreciated by the faculty.  We purchased software called LiquidOffice
produced by Cardiff but only sold through channel partners, in our case
Binary Office, Inc.   Binary Office then customized the application to
mirror our current paper process.  This new web-based electronic form
routes the proposal (and any other attachments) for review and approval
through the university then dumps the data directly into our database.  Its
a bit more complicated than that but gives you a good idea of the process
and capability.  As with any new system there are some problems we are
still working on but the faculty, in general, are quite appreciative of the
new system.  We are very pleased with this electronic system and will be
implementing a new electronic compliance application form as well.  In
addition to routing proposals for institutional review and approval, we
will eventually be able to then submit the application (data)
electronically to the appropriate federal sponsor utilizing this same system.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Thane

At 08:48 AM 11/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am interested in developing or implementing a system that will allow us
>to electronically route proposals throughout the institution.  If you are
>using such a system; what product do you use or did you create a homegrown
>system?
>
>Thank you for your help, Mike

Mr. Thane J. Peterson, MPA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Iowa State University
2207 Pearson Hall, Rm 15
Ames, Iowa  50011-2207

515-294-5225