Re: Information Systems Shapiro, Steve 18 Nov 2003 14:50 EST

We are also developing a homegrown ColdFusion/SQL 2000 server solution.
We've got a beta version currently running that you can check out:

http://orsa.uoregon.edu/pcf/practice

Most of the problems we encountered during development related to university
culture and fear of electronics.  We have redeveloped the system several
times, based on feedback from potential users.

The primary concern voiced was tracking the proposal once it was finalized
and sent off for approvals.  We are now handling that by providing the PI
and Departmental Grant Administrator with a tracking message within the
system.

We choose to forgo authenticating signatures, and opted instead to require
the approver to enter their password in order to approve.  At least that
gives us some assurance that they are who they say they are at the time of
signature.

We hope to go live with a few test departments in January.

The system was developed by a full time programmer, a system architect
devoting approximately .6 fte to the project, and the support of a .5fte
Network/SQL Administrator

Steve Shapiro
Office of Research Services and Administration
University of Oregon
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403

o) 541-346-0720