Re: Forged Signature on IRB Application Roberta Truscello 14 Nov 2003 10:56 EST
I am somewhat disturbed to see that faculty are not being held to a higher
standard.
Academic dishonesty, which includes the various gradations of plaigiarism and
an occasional forgery, is taken extremely seriously when perpetrated by a
student. Even when a student claims that he or she didn't understand why
"borrowing" or using someone else's work "with permission" is academic
dishonesty, we hold students responsible for their misbehavior, because we have
explained it to them repeatedly in their classes. In some classes they even
sign a statement saying that they understand what academic dishonesty is, and
what the consequences are. Students fail classes for doing this, and repeat
offenders can be expelled.
The act of forgery constitutes theft of identity and, in this case, usurps
authority, albeit a small authority.
Throughout history, forgery has created havoc in humanity's attempts to evolve
and become more civilized. Even a "small" forgery contributes to chaos.
So if there is a zero-tolerance policy for students, and we stand behind that,
how can we justify leaving dishonesty on the part of faculty up to the
discretion of their departments? It is hypocritical.

Roberta Truscello