Re: Forged Signature on IRB Application Barbara Lodico 14 Nov 2003 07:31 EST

Barbara

We have had this happen in a couple of instances, each time the IRB did not
review it until it has a proper signature.  Once we found it before the
review began and called the Dept Chair.  The other time we didn't realize it
until after the review was started and we held it and notified the Dept.
Chair.  In once instance the chair withdrew the IRB application.  In the
other instance the Chair allowed it to go forward after his review and a
written warning was placed in the faculty members personnel file, in both
instances the Dean was notified.   One of the faculty members is no longer
at the school.

We felt that this was an extremely serious matter and the IRB was prepared
to act, if the School Chair or Dean did not.

If you can't trust an investigator to get the appropriate signatures prior
to the study being started, how can you trust them not to falsify the data
once the study begins?

I hope this helps.

Barbara J. LoDico, B.S., CIP
Executive Director, Human Subject Protections
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
Human Subjects Protection Program Office
65 Bergen Street, Suite 507
Newark, NJ 07107-2000
P.O. Box 1709
xxxxxx@umdnj.edu