Re: Forged Signature on IRB Application Barbara Gray 13 Nov 2003 11:22 EST

Steve and all,

Thank you for all the feedback.  You've all confirmed my thinking on
this and so I have met with the department chair.  He indeed confirmed
that the signature is not his, and he will be meeting with the dean to
discuss the matter decide how to proceed.  We have decided to send the
protocol on for the expedited review and deal with the signature issue
through institutional channels rather than having the IRB take it on.
(Turns out this faculty member has had another professional ethics
complaint lodged against her that is also being discussed with the dean.)

Regarding Steve's question about even having a chair sign-off, I am
definitely in favor of it.  I can't imagine any conscientious chair
wanting to be in the dark about the kinds of human research activities
that are going on in his/her department.  In our case, the department
chair revealed to me that this faculty member had submitted some other
protocols that the chair would not allow to be sent on to the IRB
because they were so poorly prepared and offered little educational
benefit for the students who would be involved in the projects.  This
chair definitely wants the opportunity to see these things!

bg