Re: Accounting for Clinical Trials Herbert B. Chermside 30 Oct 2003 13:58 EST

The agreement is fixed unit cost.  Units are typically "completed
subjects"  but can be "entered subject", "First Follow-up subject".....

The trick is to budget so that you actually do collect all reasonable
costs.  If a study has a big "set up" cost, you may require a special fee
for set up.  Or you may amortize that over the first so many patients, and
the contract require that they pay for at least a certain minimum number of
units.

If you have a fixed unit cost agreement (same for fixed total cost), if you
provide the completed units, they owe you the money.  If you budget well,
there may be some surplus.  Create a policy of making such surplus funds
available to the PI (or department, or someone!), BUT ONLY AFTER
CONFIRMATION that all deliverables are met and all costs paid for.  BE REAL
NASTY about seeing that all costs are paid for, properly.  Otherwise the
PI's will charge costs anywhere else, so they can build up a "nest egg".

Chuck

At 11:02 AM 10/30/2003, you wrote:

>Would anyone be willing to share how you are accounting for industry
>sponsored clinical trials.  I am particularly interested in your treatment
>of residual amounts at the end of a study.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Karin Carey
>AVP, Research & Research Compliance
>Carolinas HealthCare System

>This electronic message may contain information that is confidential
>and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the
>individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the message. If you are
>not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
>immediately and delete the material from any computer. Do not deliver,
>distribute or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take
>any action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you.

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568