Re: IRB - Oral History Barbara Gray 27 Oct 2003 14:01 EST

Some things to think about:  If the IRB is no longer involved, who will
make the determination that a project is indeed "oral history?" How will
the privacy of third parties who may be discussed during the collection
of the oral history be ensured?

> Lord our history department has decided as a whole to stop submitting
> IRB's  I'd like some scoop on this, too. It's a bit bizarre.
>
> Spanky
>

> At 11:39 AM 10/27/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> I recently heard that OHRP has stated that oral history interviewing
>> activities do not involve research as defined by 45 CFR 46, but I cannot
>> find anything on their website.
>>
>> Does anyone know where I can find the "official word" from OHRP
>> regarding
>> oral history interviewing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Domenica
>> Domenica G. Pappas, CRA
>> Associate Director
>> Office of Sponsored Research and Programs
>> Executive Officer, IRB and IACUC
>> 3300 S. Federal Street
>> Main Building, Room 301H
>> Chicago, IL 60616-3793
>>
>> Phone:  (312) 567-3035
>> Fax:    (312) 567-6980
>> Email:  xxxxxx@iit.edu
>>
>> web:    www.grad.iit.edu/research/

> Mike McCallister, Ph.D.
> Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
> University of Arkansas at Little Rock
> 2801 South University
> Little Rock, AR  72204-1099
>
> (o) 501-569-8474
> (c) 501-590-5609
> (f)  501-371-7614
> http://www.ualr.edu/orsp/
>
> Better blatant than latent.

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/