Re: Feedback sought re: NSF Regional Conferences Farnsworth, Franci 27 Oct 2003 09:41 EST

I have attended two NSF Regional Conferences and heartily recommend the
experience.     The most valuable benefit is getting to know NSF staff, not
just program officers, on a more personal level than is possible in phone
calls and emails.     It works both ways -- they also get to attach a face
to a name.   Over the years, I have drawn on these contacts to get quick
answers to policy and grant questions or to track down the "right" person to
call.  The grant-writing information is excellent, but basic -- so most of
us will have heard it already.   But I always find it helpful to hear agency
people in person so that I can pass on their advice to faculty members.    A
faculty member who attended one of these conferences found the grant-writing
advice to be just what he needed -- and proceeded to get research funding
the first time he submitted a proposal.    I'm not sure the cost-benefit is
there if you have to fly across country and stay extra nights at expensive
hotels ... but if you can keep the transportation/lodging costs down it's an
excellent value.

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
Munford House