Re: International Projects Herbert B. Chermside 22 Oct 2003 13:30 EST

Read your F&A Rate Agreement carefully.

Many agreements provide that there cannot be 2 rates on a single proposal;
that you use on- or off- campus rate depending on where 50%+ of the
activity takes place.  Our institution measures by the % of Personnel cost
in each location, as the best measure of "activity".

In unusual situations (USAID is sometimes different!) separate budgets
might be applicable, but only with the complete support of the sponsoring
agency, as that is a variation from the standard -- which, if memory serves
me, does apply to you.

Do not confuse "field work" with an off-campus location.

The mentioned "45 days" has no basis in any regulations I have seen.

As to identifying "international", you will have to develop your own
policy.  There are other matters to consider that just the award or the
agency that awards it.  For example, some state universities must identify
"international" in accordance with certain state policies.  This can be
exacerbated by some state requirements in regard to activities in certain
specific nations, and federal export regulations that have special lists.

Chuck

At 12:54 PM 10/22/2003, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>My institution has recently included in a large international project from
>USAID.  In discussions with the PI and our International Programs, some
>questions came up about tracking international projects.   I need guidance
>in this area.
>
>Can you tell me how you identify international projects?  If the sponsor
>is an international company is that enough or does the work need to happen
>in or benefit a foreign country?
>
>The PI is adamant that if the work in the foreign country takes place in
>under 45 days the project should be charged IDC at the on-campus rate.  I
>have not found this in writing anywhere, so would appreciate any
>information you can provide.
>
>Do you do separate budgets for the on-campus and off-campus portions of
>the project and separate the IDC on that basis?
>Any other information and guidance you can provide would be most appreciated.
>Thanks.  Diane
>
>Diane M. Gilliland
>Assistant Director for Research Administration
>Texas Agricultural Experiment Station
>2147 TAMU
>Rm. 5, J K Williams Admin. Bldg.
>College Station, Texas 77843-2147